Tupac Shakur Performs "Live" at Coachella


Talk of the dead coming to life right in front of your eyes. Yes, that is what the US music festival Coachella presented when Tupac's hologram performed "live" on stage in front of thousands of fans.  Tupac Shakur, a rapper has been dead since 1996 where he was murdered in some shooting. The high-definition projection of the gangsta rapper's image stood shirtless and incredibly life-like, from his signature tattoos, down to his Timberland boots and jewellery, exchanging lyrics ( Hail Mary, Come With Me, Gangsta Party) with Snoop Dogg.  After a five-minute performance, Tupac's image is seen scattering and dissolving into the darkness.  The stunt has generated a wave of social media debate that had Tupac trending worldwide on Twitter with about 40 mentions a minute . As I watched the video, I couldn't help but become nostalgic as my mind raced back to the times I couldn't resist shaking my head to the beat of his music regardless of where I was.


With the permission from Tupac's mother Afeni Shakur and working alongside James Cameron, Dr. Dre's vision to "bring back to life" his long-time friend was realized on this special event. It took him four months to work on the visual magic and could not reveal how much he had spent but said it was affordable compared to the cost of attracting entertainers from around the world. The technology involved really fascinates me and I can't help but muse over the future of live performance in "bringing back to life" departed superstars who continue to remain relevant long after their departure.


The excitement and thrill of watching Tupac perform is all there but I must admit I was a bit spooked as the image looks too real to me. I also had another eerie feeling when the image dissipated into the dark. All in all Dr Dre and everyone else who was involved in making Tupac's hologram a success deserves special accolades as it depicts brilliance, sophistication and talent behind it all.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Peek At Today's Menu: Mice Meat!

I will begin from the beginning

Another Pastor Falls Off God's Wagon